History & Mission
From corporate roots that began in 1913, Peerless Food Equipment has evolved and grown to become one of the premier supplier of equipment to the world's leading bakeries and food processors whose brands include: Peerless® (mixers, bread dividers and dough handling), Hallmark (mixers), SuperGrain® (bread moulders and make-up equipment), Peters®(sandwiching and related equipment), Fedco®(mixers, depositors, icers, toppers and coating equipment), Goodway (retail bakery equipment) and Royal (remanufactured bakery equipment).
Peerless was founded in Sidney in 1907 as the Standard Clutch Manufacturing Company. At that time, the company was basically an iron foundry, with its principal product a patented friction jaw clutch.
The company was reorganized in 1912, and in 1913 it became the Peerless Bread Machine Company. Peerless' original product was a loaf moulding machine. As the company grew, it began to manufacture other products, including a dough mixer.
The first mixer was a slow speed unit, built about 1917. The first high speed unit was developed in the early 1920's, and the first weighing sifter unit was introduced in the early 1930's.
The company reorganized again in 1936 as the Peerless Bread Machinery Corporation, a name it kept until 1971 when it was renamed Peerless Machinery Corp.
Over the years the company has been owned by numerous stockholders. In 1976, sole ownership was acquired by Frank J. Zielsdorf. Robert L. Zielsdorf joined the company in 1977, and ownership of the company remained in the Zielsdorf family.
Robert Zielsdorf became President in 1981. Frank Zielsdorf became Chairman and held that post until his death in 1993.
In 1987, Peerless purchased assets of the Royal Machinery Corporation in Miami, Florida renaming the business Royal Bakery Equipment Inc. It continued to build remanufactured bakery equipment in Miami until 1989, when this operation was merged into the Peerless plant in Sidney, Ohio.
In 1992, Peerless purchased assets of Fedco (a Welbilt Company). The business was renamed Fedco Systems Co.
In 1994, Peerless purchased assets of SuperGrain Corporation of Baltimore, Maryland. SuperGrain became a Division of Fedco Systems Co.
In 1995, Fedco moved into their new, modern facilities in Odessa, Florida, across the street from the old facility.
In 1997, Peerless purchased assets of Lanham Bakery Solutions, located in the Atlanta, Georgia area. The business was moved to Odessa and incorporated into the Fedco facility. Subsequently, during 2000, the Lanham production (renamed Peerless Dough Handling Equipment) was moved to Sidney.
In 1999, Peerless purchased assets of Peters Machinery, located in Chicago, from Katy Industries. This business produces sandwiching machines for the cookie industry.
In 2000, Fedco purchased the assets of Goodway Industries Manufacturing located in Bohemia, New York. This business was moved to Odessa and incorporated within the Fedco facility.
During 2002, the company embarked on a major expansion of the Sidney, Ohio facility with the goal being consolidation of all of the group's production in this facility. During January 2003, the Fedco operation in Odessa, Florida was closed and the business moved to Sidney. The Peters Machinery Inc. plant in Chicago, Illinois was closed and moved to Sidney in July 2003.
In January 2008, Peerless Food Equipment was acquired by Illinois Tool Works Inc. and joined the company's food equipment group. A Fortune 200 company with over 800 business units around the world, ITW has a strong culture of growth that will continue to support Peerless Food Equipment profitable growth and commitment to its customers.
Peerless Food Equipment is dedicated to creating value for our customers worldwide through innovation, technology and operational expertise. We strive for profitable growth by offering products and services that exceed customers expectations . . . maintaining a commitment to excellence in all that we do.